To help you keep across the latest GP news, here are some useful GP developments from the past few weeks. From your Taxes, to Mask recommendations and RACGP Rural Awards, find out more.
Latest Australian GP News
Tax Time – Info for Healthcare Professionals
Yes, it’s that time of the year again to sort out your tax return.
Not much fun, but it’s gotta be done!
The ATO and Australian Medical Association (AMA) have put together useful resources to assist GPs and other medical professionals in completing their 2019-20 tax return.
Importantly, they have a very comprehensive page outlining deductions you can claim to maximise your return.
We think the three most useful free tax time resources for healthcare professionals out there are:
- Doctor, specialist and other medical professionals – income and work-related deductions
- The AMA 2020 Tax Time Toolkit focussed on health
- A guide to Home office expenses (particularly pertinent given how many are working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic.)
The ATO also has a specific page tailored around tax information and COVID-19.
You have until October 31 to file your return, but no time like the present to get onto it and get some hard-earned cash back into your hands!
COVID-19: Sexual and Reproductive Health
COVID-19 has added another layer of complexity when it comes to sexual and reproductive health.
The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) has created an on-demand webinar presented by Dr Lara Roeske, Chair, RACGP Specific Interests, Dr Alia Kaderbhai, Chair, RACGP Specific Interests Breast Medicine network, Dr Wendy Burton, Chair, RACGP Specific Interests Antenatal and Postnatal Care network and Dr Amy Moten, Chair, RACGP Specific Interests Sexual Health Medicine network.
The webinar explores a range of issues around providing health services including contraception, termination services, natal care and breast and cervical screening, and how the provision of these services has been impacted by COVID-19.
Register for the webinar here.
AMA Calls for Stronger Position on Masks
As Victoria struggles through a second stage 3 COVID-19 lockdown, mandatory wearing of face masks for Victorians in Melbourne and Mitchell Shire has prompted the AMA to push for a more concerted national effort and messaging from the federal government about mask-wearing.
Dr Tony Bartone, AMA president, is strongly advocating for mask-wearing in areas of community transmission given the range of advice on the efficacy of such helping prevent further transmission.
The AMA wants National Cabinet to commit to:
- Releasing community transmission modelling
- Developing a national network of contact tracing
- A commitment to zero health worker deaths
With transmission on the rise in NSW, and Queensland adding more NSW COVID-19 hotspots to its border restriction directions, the AMA may get its wishes as the National Cabinet meets and assesses how best to continue to manage transmissions.
RACGP Rural Awards
Do you know a rural GP or medical practitioner who has gone above and beyond to help their local community?
If so, it’s time to ensure they are recognised for their service via the 2020 RACGP Rural Awards.
Nominations are now open, with the four main categories being the:
- Brian Williams award to acknowledge medical practitioners whose mentoring and support enables rural GPs to safely dedicate themselves to their patients, their families and their communities.
- Medical Student Bursary, awarded to a medical student member of a rural health students’ club at an Australian university who submits the best essay on the topic: “The role of rural GPs in managing disasters such as pandemics, bushfires or floods.”
- Rural GP in Training of the Year award, which recognises an exceptional registrar who demonstrates a commitment to improve the health and wellbeing of communities in rural or remote Australia.
- Community Project of the Year award presented to a FARGP recipient from the last financial year period that completed an innovative project directly contributing to healthcare improvement in a rural or remote general practice
What a great way to celebrate our rural and remote GPs and medical students!
If you’re looking for a GP job, Gorilla would love to help you. Check out current roles or contact one of our associates today.